1 800 JOINCAA (564-6222)

Do you need out-of-province medical insurance for travel within Canada?

Information Links

Saskatchewan has so much to offer you and your family this summer.  You can enjoy our vibrant cities, spacious parks, abundant wildlife, hike, golf, or visit one of our beautiful lakes that offer fishing, canoeing and boating; the list is endless.

But sometimes you want to explore Canada and venture past the provincial boundaries into Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia or beyond, but do you pack travel insurance for trips within Canada?

Yes, it would be a smart idea.

Not all medical expenses are covered outside your home province. Canada (except Quebec) has processes in place to be able to send medical bills back and forth between the provinces/territories without the traveller paying up front – these are called reciprocal billing agreements. However, there are many exceptions and payment is limited to goods and services insured in Saskatchewan.

What to watch out for
If you don’t get travel medical insurance, here’s a list of things you might have to pay for:

  • Emergency Medical transportation, including ambulance rides to the nearest hospital or air evacuation back to Saskatchewan.
  • Incidental expenses when seeking medical treatment like food, lodging, transport, phone calls.
  • Emergency dental treatment. Common emergency visits include knocked-out teeth or gum damage from accidents
  • Non-medical travel expense. Provincial health care doesn’t cover costs associated with lost luggage or missed flights. Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance available with CAA Travel Insurance.

Learn more about CAA Travel Insurance or get a quote.
Call: 1.800.564.6222     Visit: caask.ca/caa-travel-insurance     Visit: A CAA Store