Protect yourself, your loved ones and your property this holiday season with the following tips:
- Christmas Trees: Ensure your artificial Christmas tree is “Fire Resistant” and ensure your live tree is fresh and moist at all times. Set up live and artificial trees away from fireplaces, heaters, and other heat sources.
- Lighting: Inspect holiday lights yearly for broken, frayed or loose connections; throw out damaged sets. Turn off all holiday lights when you go to bed or leave the house. Outdoor electric lights and decorations should be plugged into ground fault circuit interrupters.
- Decorations: Keep decorations away from lights, candles, heaters, fireplaces, etc. Place candles in non-combustible containers.
- Holiday Entertaining: Do not leave your cooking unattended. Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children.
- General: Have your chimney and furnace professionally cleaned and inspected. Ensure that your smoke alarms are working.