September’s cooler air is already among us and cottage owners will soon be thinking about putting their vacation homes in hibernation. For cottage owners’ peace of mind and property safety, here are some essential tips from CAA Insurance.*
Outside the cottage
- Inspect the door and window frames for damaged or missing caulking and repair as needed.
- Inspect your roof and replace any damaged or missing shingles.
- Make sure to block all orifices that rodents and other undesirables might crawl into – don’t forget about your drainage tiles and chimney.
- Clean the eaves troughs so that the melting snow drains properly in the spring.
- Trim any tree branches that hang over the cottage. They may not break during the winter, but they could still cause damage by dumping extra snow and ice over the roof.
- Clean your BBQ and disconnect the propane tank. Store them somewhere safe.